Tuesday, March 6, 2012

We all just want change

After a month of taking off from writing for my blog, a decision which left me searching for my creative juices, I was talking to a friend of mine about what my next blog should be about. Jokingly, my very modest friend said, “me.” Which was quickly followed by my questioning if the true subject should be her desire to change the world. It is at this point that she pointed out that change is everyone’s goal.

I told that anecdote for a reason, which I hope will be relieved later. Earlier today, I came across a Huffington Post article, which stated Barbara Bush’s very blunt opinion of American politics. During her recent visit to Southern Methodist University, the Former First Lady Bush said: "I hate the fact that people think 'compromise' is a dirty word."

In many ways she is right and it is that simple. Politics today are as messy, hurtful and broken as they are because politicians are trying to see our very colorful world in black and white, wrong or right - and it’s just not that simple.

There is no absolute right or absolute wrong, but instead one  should vote for which candidate most fits the dream and the goals you see for America. Politics got complicated way too fast, it is no longer about making changing or creating change.

Instead it has evolved into being the change. Are we that egotistical of a society? That only one person can create change?  Margaret Mead once said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

I still believe, probably naively, that everyone person who get into politics does it in hopes of creating change, even if that means with the assistance of others. So at what point does it become - Only I can change the world.

Once politics regresses into “we can change the world,” then and only then can change truly come and that dreadful would “we” can only come with the use of the bad word “compromise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment