Sunday, January 22, 2012

Faith in a time of protest

It seems to me that religion is not the right word for faith any more. I had an odd experience this weekend where I felt like the church service was attending was for lack of better words frowned upon by the traditionalists at the church I was attending.

So let me back up a bit, I am fortunate that I to go a church that is large enough it can offer a both contemporary services and various traditional services. In the very beginning, the contemporary service was held across the street and was seen more as a service project than a service recognized by the church. Eventually, the contemporary service moved into the smaller chapel on church grounds and took over the time slot once devoted to the children's service. Quickly outgrowing the small chapel, the one of the contemporary services was then placed down the hall in a room that used serve as the mass gathering place for health fairs, church wide meetings and the church program fair.

Sounds great right? I service that outgrows it's assigned home. That is so successful that the population of the church is growing? Wrong. As someone who is semi-involved in the church community, I cannot help but feel shunned by the 'traditional' church goers. Honestly, you would think that people would be excited that the church community is growing? That more 'young people' are attending; but sadly it does not appear that way.

Today, the contemporary service was delayed because our worship space was being used for the town hall meeting. A fellow usher informed me that he did not understand why the main chapel was not used for such meeting as it had more room. I shrugged and said the church probably wanted to allow for a transition between meetings and church services. And that's when it hit me, why is the collective contemporary service not standing up for itself. In an age of individualism and freedom, why are we constantly being treated like the step-child of our church.

So here's my question, is the religious affiliated 20 and 30-year-olds a group decreasing in its activity in the church? When asked a fair majority of individuals in this age rangs say they are spiritual, but not religious; they believe in God, but do not have a church home. Is this a phase or this age group finally looking for something more like our generation? Something they can relate to?

Feeling a bit like we could change the minds of those 'traditional' church goers, I was ready to stand up to any doubter when we first moved to our current location. I allowed people to just peak in and cut through on the way to their service; but now I just find the 'traditional' church goers are unwilling to change and open up. Unfortunately, I fell like the administration of the church is very similar, which is resulting is quite a deterrent. Resulting in two different sides being brought out within me - to either fight back and move on.

I think a lot of people are having the same debate and choosing to make a stance by moving on. The search to find your church, no matter why the change, can be long and challenging. However, I am wondering if in this age of protesting and expression, more people are not choosing to protest and stay at home. Choosing to find their faith and spirituality in other places. I know I find God when I meditating and running, neither of which are entirely possible or considered reverent for a church setting. There are many weeks where I find God in those places more than I do in Church. Is this a generational transition or a transition in a time of protest?

Is the greater congregation choosing to listening and question everything, leading to those who leave when they don't agree? It's about time to recognize that religion or the lack thereof is something you should connect with, not oblige yourself to attend.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment